With the April proof run CRV introduces FeedExcel to make it easier for farmers to distinguish bulls with the highest feed efficiency scores. Bulls branded with this quality mark are guaranteed to sire highly productive daughters with extended longevity that efficiently convert feed into milk. Farmers that use FeedExcel bulls can expect to end up with a herd having better income/feed costs ratio and fewer emissions. The index run of April 2023 confirms the leading position in feed efficiency of bulls from CRV's breeding programs and all the bulls mentioned in this press release are FeedExcel.
- - Source: Holstein International, magazine June 2023 - Cows that efficiently convert feed into lots of milk, that also have high longevity and strong scores for health: These are the cows that dairy farmers like to see on their farms. Feed costs are high, land is expensive, and material is costly.
Dutch dairy farmer Willem Alders: “Differences in feed efficiency are very interesting from a financial perspective”For Dutch dairy farmer Willem Alders, the feed balance (milk income minus feed costs) is an important economic index. The results of six years of measuring the feed intake of individual cows for CRV opened his eyes to the differences between cows. “The animals with the lowest scores make little or no contribution to the total feed balance, whilst the animals with the best scores produce even more than expected,” he concludes.
- For years, the efficient conversion of feed into milk has been a main aim in farm management for livestock farmer Pierre Litjens. Since the introduction of the breeding value feed efficiency, he has also included this trait in breeding. “The genetic differences between cows are even greater than I expected,” he says.
- Thanks to their Ricky cow family, Willem Booij and Wendie Ottens were already used to anything unusual. Nevertheless, with plenty of milk and a protein level of three-tenths above the barn average, Delta Lokke easily manages to attract the attention in the Double W Holsteins' barn.
- As from April, milking robot data will play a greater role in calculating breeding values. From April, the Animal Evaluation Unit of Cooperation CRV will use these data to estimate the breeding value milking speed and to calculate a new trait: udder balance. Even more breeding value news: from now on CRV will adjust the base annually.
- The index run of April 2023 underlines the reliability and extensive potential of CRV's Fleckvieh breeding program. Daughters of bulls that were already popular as InSire bulls, such as Majo, Westwind and Wüstensohn, are exceeding expectations. These bulls are proving themselves as all-round sires at the highest level. This is helping increase confidence in the new, young genomic bulls that are reinforcing CRV's Fleckvieh range across the board.